According to a recent article in the Providence Journal, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) is working with Bradley Hospital to grow its “Mindful Teen” program – an outpatient treatment program designed to help teens with a variety of behavioral health issues. In order to support this program, BCBSRI has “simplified authorization requirements for the program and established ‘a single monthly copay’ for the intensive outpatient services provided by Mindful Teen.”
This single monthly copay model, which helps to reduce (if not entirely eliminate) the economic barriers to care for patients in need, is built on the model The Margolin Group (TMG) created with its partners through the Win4RI “HealthPath” arrangement.
TMG is proud to have supported Care New England, Rhode Island Primary Care Physicians Corporation, The Providence Center, Continuum Behavioral Health and BCBSRI in this work. Following HealthPath’s inception more than four years ago, the program has resulted in:
- 55% lower total monthly medical costs for participants who successfully completed the program compared to participants who did not successfully complete the program
- 27% lower total monthly medical costs for participants who successfully completed the program compared to the comparison group
- 50% reduction in inpatient days, 25% reduction in readmissions, and 40% reduction in inpatient lengths of stay for participants compared to their experience prior to enrolling in the program
- 50% improvement in medication adherence
- 80% of participants showed meaningful improvement (> 5%) in Daily Living Activity (DLA) Assessment
- 90% of enrollees (and, anecdotally, roughly an equal number of providers) report high satisfaction with the program
Contact us if you would like to learn more about how TMG works with organizations across the continuum of care and coverage to deliver truly innovative, community-based behavioral health and substance use solutions.